Conservatory of Music
Who are we?
The Conservatory is an initiative of the Stillwater Christian School Department of Music. It exists to provide solid foundational music education, meaningful recognition, and excellent opportunities in performance and musical study for serious high school musicians in the Flathead valley.
What we offer:
Four different diplomas for four different levels of achievement:
- Diploma (Core Requirements and Capstone)
- Music Diploma (Core Requirements, Capstone, and 1 Elective)
- Artist Diploma (Core Requirements, Captsone, and 2 Electives)
- Distinguished Artist Diploma (Core Requirements, Capstone, and at least 3 Electives)
- Students in any diploma program may also earn up to 3 FREE college credits from FVCC if certain requirements are met. Contact Micah Hunter at email@example.com for details.
- Conservatory students who are also enrolled at SCS enjoy direct financial assistance in the form of limited fee waivers.
- We are working to establish formal relationships with colleges and universities in our region to recognize Conservatory diplomas
Who can do it?
Any high school music student at SCS or in the homeschool community may apply for a Conservatory program. Homeschool students who enter the Conservatory will need to take some coursework at Stillwater Christian School as part time students of SCS.
How much does it cost?
Full time SCS students may enroll in a Conservatory program at no additional charge – this initiative is part of your school, and your tuition covers your participation. Homeschool students who wish to enroll in the Conservatory must pay part-time tuition based on the number of credits taken at SCS. Please contact our Director of Admissions, Renee Wynne at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about part-time tuition.
What is required?
All Conservatory students must complete the Core Requirements:
- Diagnostic Exam
- Music Theory, History, & Literature
- Ensemble (choir, band, or orchestra)
- Private lessons
- Solo performance
And one of the Capstone Requirements:
- Comprehensive Exams
- Thesis Defense on approved music-related topic (This option is available only to SCS graduating Seniors)
Students pursuing the Music, Artist, or Distinguished Artist Diplomas must also complete a certain number of Elective Requirements from our long and growing list:
- Music Theory Project
- Music History Project
- Solo Recital
- External Ensemble
- Recording Project
- Literature Project
- Composer/Musician Bio Project
- Music and Worship
- Intro to Conducting
- Intro to Compostion (or MUSI 180 at FVCC)
- Elements of Jazz
- Instrument Repair
- Intro to Sound Engineering & Recording
- Studio Pedagogy
- Major Thesis on approved music-related topic (SCS graduating Seniors may use this option as an Elective only if they ALSO complete the Comprehensive Exams)
Students may also propose ONE unlisted Elective for faculty approval.
How can I get started?
Students wishing to enroll in a program must fill out an application and schedule a time to take the Diagnostic Exam for their grade level. The Diagnostic Exam is not an “entrance exam” – your score will be used only for us to help you; it will not, on its own, determine acceptance into a program.
How can I learn more?
If you have questions, or would like to visit more about opportunities at the SCS Conservatory of Music, please contact:
Stillwater Christian School
255 FFA Dr.
Kalispell, MT 59901
406-752-4400 x 172